Thursday, February 13, 2014

joke of the day

#1
(It happened around 10 years ago)

At church, after the Sunday Service and when we (my dad, mom, 2 sisters, brother and I) were going out of the sanctuary shaking hands with church members.

Church member: (shaking hands with each one of us, I was the last one on the line) "Oh, these are your kids?
(to my eldest sis) Oh, this must be the eldest one...
(to my 2nd sis) And this is the 2nd daughter. How tall you are!
(to my brother) Ah! And this must be the youngest! The only son!
(to me) And this is? (facing my eldest sis) Your friend?"
Me: "..."

#2
(It happened during my 2013 Christmas - 2014 New Year holiday in Surabaya)

At church, before the service began and when we (my dad, mom, my 2nd sis, brother and I) were greeting church members. Suddenly, my mother came to me, laughing like there's no tomorrow.

Me: "What's wrong?"
Mom: "You know what, there's a church member who thought that you're your brother's girlfriend."
Me: "...Urghh..."

(starting to really doubt that I'm a member of this family)

#3
(It happened during my 2013 Christmas - 2014 New Year holiday in Surabaya)

At church, before the service began and when I was chatting with one of my old friend's mom. I wasn't that close with her, but I knew that she has a younger brother and a younger sister.

Mrs. X: "Hi! Long time no see! How are you?"
Me: "I'm fine. Thanks for asking."
Mrs. X: "How's Singapore? Getting used to the life there?"
Me: "Yes, pretty much. Everything's convenient over there, so it's good." (Starting to think that she doesn't quite remember how long I've stayed in Singapore)
Mrs. X: "Good to hear! Do you remember my son? He's finishing his Master Degree in US right now."
Me: "Oh? Wow. He's taken his Master Degree already? How time flies." (Starting to suspect that this conversation is going to the wrong direction. Does she know I'm the same age as her eldest daughter? Take my hints already!)
Mrs. X: "Right? And he's in town right now! You two should go out and have a meal together, to catch up."
Me: (triumphant smile on my face, my guess is correct) "Sure! By the way, how's Patsy? Where is she now?
Mrs. X: (surprised that I was calling my friend's nickname without any honorific) "Oh? You know her?"
Me: "Of course! We were together in Sunday School and we took DK* together last time. We are of the same age." (I added the last sentence, in case she still doesn't get it)
Mrs. X: (disappointed look on her face) "Oh, yeah. She's fine, working in Jakarta now..."

Gone away your chance to matchmake your son with me :) I'm flattered though, that she thinks I'm so young.

*DK - my church's Bible Study Class.

No comments:

Post a Comment