Thursday, August 22, 2013

Smoky day, here I come!

News said that haze from Indonesia is back for the next few days, with PSI ranging between 50-100. This is still fine compares to the haze in June which peaked at 401, a new record high for the PSI level in Singapore.

It is still better days than in June. Sky is still clear and the smell doesn't stick to my body. But haze or no haze from Indonesia, I will still smell smoke these days. Sigh...

It is the Hungry Ghost month in August. It's when relatives burn offerings for the ghosts of their deceased loved ones, or for any stray ghosts. Some will burn paper money, but some will burn bigger things such as paper cars or paper house for their loved ones in heaven, so that they live well there.

It's a tradition and I respect it. It's just the smoke from the burning that I don't like. In June, I was hoping that the haze won't come back because the Hungry Ghost festival was coming soon, but apparently my wish don't come true. Even though the haze is not so bad, I smell smoke everywhere. I can just only hope that the haze won't get worse. Sigh...

At a time like this, I wish scientists could come up with a genius invention on smokeless burning. That way, maybe, it can reduce the greenhouse problem as well. But, I think it's completely just a wishful thinking. We all know that when carbon is burned, it will produce carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO) (if it's not a perfect combustion). It's a chemical reaction with a definite result. Maybe if we can burn using other substance than oxygen (O2), then we can get rid of the CO2 and CO. But then, maybe it will produce a more harmful products. But what substance can burn in the absence of O2? I don't know. I'm not a scientist and I'm not a chemist. Just an engineer who know a bit of things here and there. Haha.

I wish all the best for all the scientists out there who might have the same idea for his research to have a fruitful results :)

No comments:

Post a Comment